As mixed emotions abound for the Deaf of North Carolina, DOOR International calls Christians everywhere to heed the words of Romans 12:15: “Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.”
The shooting of a Deaf man outside Charlotte is grabbing national headlines and immersing Deaf friends and family in grief. Hundreds of miles to the east, near Raleigh, joy abounds as the launch date for a Deaf believers’ fellowship draws near.
Tragedy: Daniel Harris shooting
A 29-year old Deaf resident of North Carolina, Daniel Harris, was shot by a state trooper on August 18. State officials are trying to find answers for the surviving members of Harris’s family and the grieving Deaf community near Charlotte.
The incident is under investigation, and few details about the shooting have been released. Here’s what you can do in the meantime:
- Please pray for state officials as they investigate the Daniel Harris shooting.
- Pray the truth will be revealed.
- Pray for Harris’s family, and for the Deaf community of Charlotte.
- Pray this tragic event leads to more awareness of, and respect for, Deaf individuals and the Deaf community as a whole.
As you heed the second half of Romans 12:15 and “weep with those who weep,” don’t forget to “rejoice with those who rejoice,” too.
Joy: NC’s first Deaf believers’ fellowship
One Deaf and two hearing missionaries are serving with DOOR International near Raleigh. They say the excitement in the Deaf communities they serve is tangible.
“The Deaf met [in July] to discuss and vote on major decisions,” shares Cindy Knakal, one of a few hearing missionaries serving with DOOR.
“They chose their name, which is Deaf Community Fellowship; together, they wrote their vision and mission, and they chose their logo… [at the end of August] they will be meeting to discuss the order of their service.”
Deaf people connect with God and worship Him very differently than hearing people do. Learn why Deaf people prefer the term, ‘Deaf believers’ fellowship’ instead of ‘Deaf church.’
According to Knakal, Deaf believers are planning to hold their first service at Deaf Community Fellowship on Sunday, September 11.
Here’s how you can pray for them:
- Pray for wisdom and discernment as important decisions are made.
- Pray for Deaf hearts to be hungry for God’s Word, and pray for strongholds to be broken within the Deaf community.
- Pray that God will continue to place willing and able leaders alongside DOOR’s missionaries and the Deaf believers to accomplish His perfect will.
If you’d like to help underwrite costs associated with starting this Deaf believers’ fellowship, please click here and select “Other” from the drop-down list. In the Comments section, type “U.S. Deaf Community Fellowship.”